Sunday, August 7, 2016

The Best Ways to Stay Healthy While Living on Campus

I recently moved back into my sorority house so that we could begin preparing for fall sorority recruitment and the start of my senior year. It was absolutely amazing to see all of my friends and sorority sisters after a long summer of working and living at home, but spending two weeks in a house with a couple hundred girls does not come without its health risks.

Fevers, colds, and stomach viruses can spread so quickly when you live in close quarters - whether it's a sorority house or a dorm room, so I wanted to do a quick post to highlight the best, and easiest ways to stay healthy when you're living in a shared space.

I'm in no way a medial professional, but these tips have helped keep me feeling healthy and happy while living on campus.


1. Take vitamins

Before moving back into the sorority house, I picked up a pack of (gummy!) daily multivitamins, which helps give me the recommended daily dose of a variety of vitamins and other nutrients. They taste great and the fact that they're gummy was just a plus. (Having a well-stocked medicine drawer with over the counter meds for anything that may arise over the upcoming year is also a good idea! No one likes to go to the store when they're sick, so it's better to be prepared ahead of time.)

 

2. Drink lots of water

I recently received a S'well bottle as a gift and it makes me so excited to drink the recommended eight glasses of water a day. Find a fun new water bottle and drink up to keep your body hydrated.

 

3. Wash your hands

I cannot stress this enough! When you're living in close quarters, germs can spread like crazy. The best and most effective way to prevent any illnesses is to wash your hands regularly. (Also, if you have the choice between hand sanitizer and regular soap and water, always go for soap.)



4. Use disinfectant spray and wipes

Wiping down or spraying the surfaces of your room with a Clorox wipe or Lysol only takes about a minute. My roommate and I try to do this every few days, so that our room is clean and germ free.



5. Get some fresh air

Actually getting out of our sorority house or dorm room whenever possible is always a good idea! Take a walk with your roommate and invite your friend from down the hall, walk to class instead of taking the bus, or sit outside and soak up some sun while you study. 



6. Eat right

Finally, it's easy to fall into bad eating habits, especially when you have unlimited access to the dining hall and tons of snack options. Making healthy food choices will keep you feeling great all year long. 

No comments :

Post a Comment